Total Pageviews

Friday, July 13, 2012

su·per·fi·cial

[soo-per-fish-uhl]
adjective
1. being at, on, or near the surface: a superficial wound.
2. of or pertaining to the surface: superficial measurement.
3. external or outward: a superficial resemblance.
4. concerned with or comprehending only what is on the surface or obvious: a superficial observer.
5. shallow; not profound or thorough: a superficial writer.

I am sick of it. Offically over it. This phony level of "knowing" someone or having them believe that they "know" me because we happen to be acquaintances through a social media platform. Having the stress of "Do I friend, do I unfriend, if I unfriend what social problems will I cause, would I have dinner with this person in real life, why do I care so much about the feelings of someone who has no idea who I really am?" coupled with the awkward in person exchanges that stem from someone knowing what is going on in your life without you having ever spoken to them in person is leading me down a path of wanting some downtime.

The problem is this....I am not willing or ready to completely cut myself off from said platforms. They do serve a very useful purpose for some specific needs that my family has at this time. However, there is no way to go halfway in these situations. You either have to remain open or you have to completely stop because parking it in the middle (even if for a short time) results in your inbox flooding with concerned inquiries or phone calls from people you barely speak to asking in that nosy way "Is everything okay?"

So, here I sit...fully acknowledging the superficiality of the entire thing....and still unable to cut the cord.

No comments:

Post a Comment